Mandy is a registered clinical psychologist with experience working in private practise, and community and school settings. She has experience working with adolescents, families, and older adults, with a focus on cognitive behavioural therapy for depression and anxiety. She also has experience in the development, delivery, and evaluation of parent and teacher training.
Over the last five years, Mandy’s discipline-based research has focused on adjustment to life transitions, promotion of resilience in families, and evaluation of clinical interventions. Her learning and teaching research has focused on student wellbeing, student transition, and evidence-based teaching methods.
Mandy has taught a range of courses in undergraduate and postgraduate psychology programs, and has supervised the research of Honours, Masters, and Doctoral students. Her areas of teaching expertise include Developmental Psychology, Health Psychology, and Clinical Psychology.
Clinical psychology; parenting; stress and coping.
Adjustment to life transitions; parenting; stress and coping; resilience; early intervention and prevention of mental health issues; evaluation of clinical interventions; promotion of wellbeing; student wellbeing; evidence-based teaching methods.
- Slonim, J., Kienhuis, M., Di Benedetto, M., & Reece, J. (2015). The relationships among self-care, dispositional mindfulness and psychological distress in medical students. Medical Education Online, 20, article 27924. doi: 10.3402/meo.v20.2792.
- Denny, B., Kienhuis, M., Gavidia-Payne, S. (2015). Explaining the quality of life of organ transplant patients with crisis theory, Progress in Transplantation, 25, 324-31. doi: 10.7182/pit2015904
- Pinto, R., Kienhuis, M., Slevison, M., Chester, A., Sloss, A., & Yap, K. (2015). The effectiveness of an outpatient Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) group program for a transdiagnostic population. Clinical Psychologist, (article first published online: 12 February 2015) doi: 10.1111/cp.12057
- Kienhuis, M., & Chester, A. (2014). Interteaching: A model to enhance student engagement. In M. Gosper & D. Ifenthaler (Eds.), Curriculum models for the 21st century: Using learning technologies in higher education (pp. 135-153). New York: Springer. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4614-7366-4
- Giallo, R., Wade, C. & Kienhuis, M. (2014). Fatigue in mothers of infants and young children: Factor structure of the Fatigue Assessment Scale. Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health & Behavior, 2 (3), 119-131. doi: 10.1080/21641846.2014.925326
- Chester, A., Kienhuis, M., Pisani, H., Shahwan-Akl, L., & White, K. (2013). Professionalism in student online social networking: The role of educators. E-learning and Digital Media, 10(1), 30-39. doi: 10.2304/elea.2013.10.1.30
- Chester, A., Kienhuis, M., Wilson, P. H. (2013). Implementation of the interteaching model: Implications for staff. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 1-10. doi: 10.1080/14703297.2013.845536
- Denny, B., Kienhuis, M., & Gavidia-Payne, S. (2013, Feb). Promoting the quality of life of organ transplant patients. In-Psych, 14-15.
- Denny, B., Beyerle, K., Kienhuis, M., Cora, A., Gavidia-Payne, S., & Hardikar, W. (2012). New insights into family functioning and quality of life after pediatric liver transplantation. Pediatric Transplantation, 16, 711-715. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-3046.2012.01738.x
- Denny, B., & Kienhuis, M. (2011). Crisis theory to explain the quality of life of organ transplant patients. Progress in Transplantation, 21,182-189.
- Giallo, R., Treyvaud, K., Matthews, J., & Kienhuis, M. (2010). Making the transition to primary school: An evaluation of a transition program for parents. Australian Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology, 10, 1-17.
- Kienhuis, M., Rogers, S., Giallo, R., Matthews, J., & Treyvaud, K. (2010). A proposed model for the impact of parental fatigue on parenting adaptability and child development. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology, 28, 392-402.
- Giallo, R., Kienhuis, M., Treyvaud, K., & Matthews, J. (2008). A psychometric evaluation of the Parent Self-efficacy in Managing the Transition to School Scale. Australian Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology, 8, 36-48.
- Giallo, R., Treyvaud, K., Kienhuis, M., & Matthews, J. (2008). AusParenting in Schools: A parenting information and support strategy for primary schools. Developing Practice: The Youth and Family Work Journal 21, 43-52.
- Clunies-Ross, P., Little, E., & Kienhuis, M. (2008). Self-reported and actual use of proactive and reactive classroom management strategies and their relationship with teacher stress and student behaviour. Educational Psychology, 28, 693-710. doi: 10.1080/01443410802206700